Splog... where the spinsters blog about yarn. Well, mostly yarn.
Dottie Angel + Spincycle Yarns = a Hatty New Year! December 01 2015
We know you're busy as bees, knitting away at holiday presents for loved ones... So we hope that you'll join us for some selfish post-holiday knitting! We are joining forces with Tif Fussell, the creative maker known as Dottie Angel on Instagram (@dottieangel), for a knit-along we are calling Hatty New Year!
Tif knit a pattern of ours recently: Tilly, a simple cloche with a ruched ribbon detail. She fell in love with the simple little pattern, but she didn't stop there! She worked her woolly tattoo magic on it... and voila! Isn't it fantastic?
So here are the details...
- While you're here, visit the Dyed In The Wool collection and pick your skein. Use the coupon code you found by following either Spincycle Yarns or Dottie Angel on Instagram! We are recommending Tif's own favorite colorways - Salty Dog, Deep Bump, Pick Your Poison, or Robin's Egg. But they're all excellent. The sample is shown in Salty Dog!
- Head over to Ravelry to purchase the pattern and join the KAL group!
- We will begin the Hatty New Year Knit-along on January 1st and end on January 31st. (We suggest you purchase by December 23rd to receive your yarn by the 1st. Overseas orders should be completed by the 15th of December, though we can't guarantee they won't get delayed in customs.)
- A couple of weeks into the KAL, Tif will begin to release little videos on her Instagram account showing her woolly tattoo process! You can view them for inspiration!
Stay tuned for details by following us on Instagram! And YES! there will be prizes!
xoxoxoxoxo, the spinsters
Fall's Official. October 14 2015
But you probably already knew that. Maybe you've picked up your knitting again - finally! - after a long, hot summer, or maybe you've hit Level Manic and simultaneously cast on for three sweaters and more hats than you'd care to admit. Ok, that's what we did. So no judgment here. But we're not too busy knitting to make yarn... We just came correct with a new Dyed In The Wool colorway, Frosty Night! Behold!
We thought we couldn't possibly be busier than we were this summer after our first trip to TNNA, but we were wrong! (TNNA is the biiiiiiiiiiig trade show where all your favorite yarn shops go to find out about new yarn companies and place orders from their old favorites... if you've suddenly noticed that your LYS is carrying Spincycle Yarns, TNNA is probably why. We opened an amazing number of new accounts. We came back filled with gratitude. Gratitude and a very long to-do list.) Now we are in the midst of filling fall orders and getting ready for a few really fun winter shows up here in our little corner of Washington!
But we did take a short break last month to celebrate Rachel's 39th birthday. Maybe you've cracked the Knit Fast, Die Young code and you know the words to all the songs we reference in our colorway names. If so, you might appreciate the cake that Rachel's sister, of Cherry Bomb Cakery here in Bellingham, whipped up:
Yeah. Uh huh. That is who you think it is.
But back to business... We are super thrilled to be returning to Knit Fit! in Seattle next month. We could tell you all about the amazing lineup of teachers and classes and yarn companies slated for this show, but you should probably just follow this link and see for yourselves: Knit Fit! November 13-15!
And then we are returning to our ABSOLUTE FAVORITE handmade craft fair OF ALL TIME. (Can you tell we're stoked?) Urban Craft Uprising has been around for over 10 years and it is just getting better and better! This year they are bringing back VIP night! For a small fee, you can have a private shopping experience on Friday night, before the crowds (10,000-ish) descend. So if you like the pick of the litter, or you're just socially awkward, get your VIP ticket now! Go to Urban Craft Uprising for details! December 4-6 in Seattle.
And follow us on Instagram to find out about trunk shows in the area. We've got 'em booked for Makers' Mercantile in Kent, WA, and Apple Yarns in Bellingham, WA, just for starters!
Kate and Rachel
You asked... and we heard ya! We have kits! April 03 2015
We never meant to turn a deaf ear to the pleas of the partners and friends of you crazed knitters... we just move slowly on some things! But finally, we joined forces once again with HomeTown Knits and Jūl Designs and came up with these awesome cowl kits. Now all it should require on your part is a gentle nudge in our direction, and your significant other can TOTALLY NAIL IT on your next birthday!
We can even put together a custom pairing of colorways. Just drop us a line!
From the listing:
Introducing a lovely trifecta: a collaboration between Spincycle Yarns and Hometown Knits, featuring the lovely leatherworkings of Jūl.
The Kirstin Kit includes
- two skeins (400 yards total!) of Dyed In The Wool, one in colorway "Deep Bump" and the other in colorway "Idle Nights", OR two skeins (400 yards total!) of Independence, one in colorway "Slumbering Heart" and the other in colorway "Idle Nights",
- the pattern for Kirstin, simple colorwork cowl from the design genius Simone Barry of HomeTown Knits, in one-size-fits-all,
- and brown leather closures from Jūl. .
Heidi + Lana, Spincycle Yarns, & Vogue Knitting Live NYC! January 12 2015
We were so smitten with Heidi and Lana when we saw this LYS booth at VKL Chicago back in October. Rather than taking the "everything but the kitchen sink" approach that many shops take when vending at a big show, H+L were simplifying... Offering a small but thoughtful selection of needles and accoutrements, the feature of the booth was Margaret Craig's original pattern "Touring Cape" as a kit. Knitters could choose from the many curated color combinations and walk away guaranteed a satisfying project.
We were so flattered when, at the end of the weekend, Heidi and Lana wanted not only to carry Spincycle Yarns in the shop, but to feature us in Margaret's upcoming pattern kit "Passage," to debut at Vogue Knitting Live NYC, January 16-18.
For the pick of the litter, get to VKL NYC early! Read on for details about the pattern!
1. The act or process of moving through, under, over, or past something on the way from one place to another.
An edge of buttons that can pass through any of the openwork holes which are lined by bold tracks of stockinette make the possibilities of this scarf endless….
5.5 stitches/inch in St st
400 yds Sport/Heavy Fingering Weight Yarn
(shown Spincycle Dyed in the Wool - Kimono)
4 Buttons (7/8”) (shown with Heidi & Lana buttons)
5 US Straight or Circular
Check out this video to see some of the fun ways you can wear Passage.